Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Three Filipinos executed in Xiamen, China on March 30, 2011

It has been days since I started following this issue. Today, a conclusion was made.  Three Filipinos were executed in Xiamen, China due to illegal drug smuggling in 2008.  Ramon Credo, 42 years old, Elizabeth Batain, 38 years old, and Sally Villanueva, 32 years old, were executed by lethal injection today, March 30, 2011.  Despite the petitions and appeals of the families and the Philippine government, their life was concluded by this very sad reality.

I am making this blog to speak out my opinions and views and not to harm the Philippine government, the Filipino people or other nations.  My heart is in great grief although I do not know these people but because they are Filipinos, I feel truly sad about this situation. Death is an inevitable condition but a person should not die through this kind of  circumstance.  

There was an instance a few years back when a new found friend from Davao International Airport confided to me that she was involved in drug smuggling.  She is 3 months pregnant.  We were both going to Manila and she has a connecting flight going to Hongkong on the same night.  She was crying when I saw her that's why she called my attention and talked to her. She is a single mom told me that she was carrying something that she did not like but was left with no choice because she is pregnant and needs money for her soon-to-be child.   I thought for awhile that it is about the baby but when she started saying something about a foreigner giving her money in exchange of bringing stuff going to Hongkong, I was totally confused and her asked what she means.  She told me she is a victim of drug smuggling.

This story reminded me of the three filipinos executed today.  We have no right to judge them.  They have their own reasons.  Only that, their circumstance gave them no enough choices to make these decisions.  Unfortunately to these people, these are the only means they can help alleviate the suffering of their families even without thinking that these decisions can pose a greater harm to themselves.  

May this be a lesson for all of us.  A law is always a law.  May not be always applicable in the Philippines but yes, it is true in other nations. May we also be reminded that we can always make an honest living.  It is a sad reality in the Philippines wherein everybody wants to go abroad and seek for greener pastures.  But this thought too should always remind us that not all green pastures can lead us to happy endings, it should always go with hard work, determination and perseverance.

Follow me on Twitter: @tuesday_rn 
*Do you want to receive updates via email? Subscribe now by entering your email address in the subscription link!

No comments: